2018 Ralph Phillips Student Research Award
Request for Applications & Guidelines
Dental students who wish to undertake novel research relevant to contemporary operative dentistry are invited to apply for a Ralph Phillips Student Research Award, sponsored by the Founders’ Fund of the Academy of Operative Dentistry (AOD).
– Eligibility. Application is open to the following levels of dental students: Pre-doctoral and Master’s programs.
– Selection criteria. Research proposals may vary considerably in scientific scope and duration, reflecting the different academic programs and level of the student-applicants. The merits of a proposal will be assessed in relation to the level of the student-applicant. Selection of the most meritorious project will be made by the AOD Research Committee.
– Mentor. A research mentor, who is a member of the AOD, should be named and serve as a co-signatory to the application. The student’s mentor is asked to provide an assessment of the student’s general standing, attitude and potential aspirations for teaching activities.
– Research protocol. The research protocol should outline the background, aims and hypothesis of the proposed project, the methodology and data analysis to be employed, and the anticipated outcome on the clinical practice of operative dentistry.
– Budget. The costs for the proposed research should be realistic and may not exceed $6,000. The budget does not allow for indirect costs. Awardee will be contacted to provide details for payment of the award.
– SELECTION & AWARD Notification. The research committee will make final decision during the 2018 annual meeting. The Awardee will be announced during the 2018 annual meeting. The recipient will receive a formal notification letters by March.
– Presentation. The recipient of the award will be required to present a table clinic reporting the findings of the research supported by the Award. Within a period of maximum two years after receiving the award the research should be presented at the Table Clinic session during the annual meeting of the Academy with mention of the support by the Academy’s Fellowship. Additional financial support for Table Clinic presentation and AOD-meeting expenses will be provided upon request (up to $1000).
INSTRUCTION TO SUBMIT APPLICATION:
Applications for the award must be submitted electronically to the chair of the Research Committee of the Academy of Operative Dentistry, Dr. Ana Bedran-Russo (firstname.lastname@example.org), no later than DECEMBER 20, 2017 (5 PM EST) with subject line “AOD–PHILLIPS APPLICATION FROM [NAME]”.
The application packet should consist of the following documents (font Arial, 11 point font, 1.5 line spacing), combined into ONE PDF file. Applications not strictly following the requested format will be returned without consideration.
- General Information form
- Cover letter (applicant)
- Support letter (research mentor and/or co-mentor). Mentor or co-mentor must be an AOD member.
- Research protocol narrative [max 3 pages, including abstract (max 250 words), sentence of clinical relevance (max 3 lines), Background & Rationale, Specific aims & Hypothesis, Work plan (Methods) and Statistical analysis]
- Cited references (max 1 page)
- Budget and budget justification (max 1 page, budget may not exceed $6,000. No Indirect Costs allowed.)
- Applicant’s CV (max 2 page)